Re: What needs to be done?

On Sunday 27 January 2002 09:25, Erik van Roode wrote:
>    - XFree86 (fixed?)
>    - libc6
>    - binutils
>
> I fear the binutils/libc6 to be way over my head, but I'm willing to dive
> into it if needed. XFree86 seems to work, kernel 2.2.20 and 2.4.17 seem to
> work.

XFree86 seems to work? That's a bold statement. I don't know how many
architectures Debian/m68k supports, but the current version of XFree86 in
woody (4.1.0-13) doesn't work on my Amiga because:

* The ELF loader does not flush caches, causing random module loading
failures etc.

* A problem in the calculation of the display width in fbdev causing a
division by zero error on depths greater than 1 on Amiga planes type
framebuffers.

* A problem in afb or fbdev, I'm not sure yet, causing anything with a depth
greater than 1 to crash on Amiga planes type framebuffers.

* The colour map is incorrect for depth 1, it is not black and white but
rather black and grey.

* The keyboard should have "CustomKeycodes" set by default on m68k, like it
is on the PowerPC.

I'm sure there should be more things supported than simple chunky displays
before you can declare XFree86 4.x "working" on m68k. The debconf
configuration frontend doesn't generate a sane configuration either, it
doesn't know about the Amiga mouse or the keyboard.

I'm sure it won't work on an Atari because the iplan2pX framebuffers haven't
been ported to XFree86 4.x yet.

I am working on it in XFree86 4.2.x now, but stating that it works is IMO far
too bold. It can unfortunately in no way replace XFree86 3.3.6 on m68k at the
moment.

Kind regards,

Kars.