Re: Amiga install boot probs

On Wed, Jan 09, 2002 at 02:37:38PM -0000, Forbes-Ritte, Jim wrote:
> I am having problems with potato getting as far as starting scsi0, and
> locking up when it
> doesnt hear from my non-existent w33c93 controller.
>
> my setup: A1200T Apollo 1230Lite (Full 68030 + FPU @ 25 MHz)
> and Maxtor 20GB IDE 3.5" drive on port 0 of an IDEfix'97 board.
Is IDEfix supported by Linux?

> if this makes any difference, I am running from AmigaOS 3.9 with boing bag 1
> update, and 3.1 Kickstart ROMs.
>
> it seems to me that the problem may be related to amiboot recognising my
> A1200 as an A3000+ before it starts the kernel.
So why don't you tell amiboot that you have an A1k2?

amiboot.readme:
Advanced options:
[...]
    --model id       Set the Amiga model to `id'

Get it from ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/pub/Linux/680x0/v2.1/boot
I've put a copy at:
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/misc/amiboot-5.6.readme

> the point: how do I get it to recognise the internal IDE, and not the SCSI ?
> do I need to rebuild/patch the kernel ?
> I downloaded the AmigaInstall.lha file from the
> http://people.debian.org/~cts//debian-m68k/potato/ website.
Oh, that is a very old archive, try this one (a little bit newer, not sure
if it includes a newer kernel)
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato/bf-2.2.19/

Maybe your problem is fixed in a newer kernel, if you're a little bit
adventurous, you could try the woody boot-floppies instead (includes a
2.2.20 kernel).
If that does not help, you might need a kernel without the SCSI driver, I
had to use one at home, because the gvpii driver locked up my system after a
few hours, but it never prevented me from booting/installing, so I think you
have a different problem.

Christian