Re: Just starting out

On Tue, 20 Feb 2001, Tobias McNulty wrote:

> I recently decided to try to install Debian on my old Quadra 700
> system.  It has a 68040 CPU, so I think it should work.  I downloaded the
> rescue/root/driver images and dd'ed them to floppies, but the Quadra spits
> the rescue disk out when I try to boot it.  Is there something special I

You can't boot Linux from a floppy on 68k Macs. In fact you can't really
boot an 68k Mac at all with Linux, you have to boot MacOS first and then
use the "Pegunin" booter (a MacOS application) to boot Linux from there.
This is similar to booting through M$DOS with loadlin on x86.

And you don't want real floppies with the installer stuff on it. Linux
doesn't have a working floppy driver for m68k Macs. You just need the
images, they will be read into a ramdisk at the right time.

There should be sufficient documentation at
<http://linux-mac68k.sourceforge.net/docs/> to get you started. The most
relevant parts are also contained in
dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/macinstall.tgz in the Debian
ftp archive tree.

BTW: Yes, a Q700 works allright. I use one, too.

HTH,

Bjoern
--
Bj"orn Brill <brill@fs.math.uni-frankfurt.de>