Re: Tape drive support in 2.2.10 kernal

Moin,
On Thu, Nov 08, 2001 at 06:59:56AM +0000, Lance Tagliapietra wrote:

> I'm using Debian 2.2r0 on an Amiga.  The kernal does not seem to
> recognize my Exabyte 8505 8mm DAT SCSI drive.  According to the
> faq, most scsi tape drives are supported.  This drive works even
> with the better than nothing (BTN) driver under AmigaDos.
I suppose you are using an SCSI controller to connect to tape to the Amiga?
Maybe you SCSI controller is not recognized, not used, whatever. Which one
are you using, do you see kernel messages from the controller during boot?
Why don't you show us your kernel messages?
I don't remember if tapes were included (probably as module only), see
/boot/config-2.2.10 for the config used to build that kernel. 2.2.10 is
pretty old, you might try 2.2.19 or roll your own kernel. Tape drives are
probably not considered vital for installing the system, so now you have
all the means to build your own custom kernel.

> Under Linux I do not see a tape device (st0, rst0). Are the tape
> devices not given in the default install?
Do you have the device files?

root@gleep:~>ll /dev/st0*
crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,   0 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0
crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  96 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0a
crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  32 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0l
crw-rw----    1 root     tape       9,  64 Jul  5  2000 /dev/st0m
root@gleep:~>ll /dev/rst0*
ls: /dev/rst0*: No such file or directory

I think rst0 is named differently under linux, but its been some years since
I last used a DAT drive (and I did use it under linux on my Amiga!).

As for your other problem, only because linux-m68k supports something, does
not mean that the driver is included in the debian/m68k stock kernel. There
are various reasons why one particular driver can be left out, space being
one. So if its included, and buildable as a module, it is probably built as
a module only, maybe you did not inser the module (during installation).
Check the config file to see if its built in or as a module or not at all.
If its not built, time to build your custom kernel, you always wanted to do
that anyway to tweek a few percent more performance out of your box.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato