Re: how to install 2.2.17

On Mon, Nov 05, 2001 at 09:54:03PM +0900, T. Sugawara wrote:
> Hello,
>
> My name is Sugawara from Japan.
> I have questions about the installation process of the kernel with NCR5380
> SCSI controller.
> Please somebody give me the advice.
>
> I have installed the potato kernel ver.2.2.10 in my IIfx with 20MB RAM.
> When I didn't use another SCSI equipment, it works well.
> Since I wanted to use CD-ROM drive, I decided to apply the 2.2.17 as the
> document indicated.
which document?
> Though I tried as follows, the IIfx didn't work.
There are many ways leading to Rome. The easiest one for you would have been
to install the kernel-image package, there is a 2.2.19 kernel-image in
propsed upgrades, might even have made its way into potato already. Just
install that and the modules are in the right place with the right name,
etc. You then just have to get /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.19 onto your native (mac)
partition and tell Penguin to use that for booting. You do want to keep the
2.2.10 kernel (and modules!) around, just in case the new kernel is
performing even worse for you, or you need to use a rescue floppy/cd (though
this does not sound like an option for you, its pretty nice on i386).
You could do all of this by hand, but why bother when you get everything in
a nice deb file?

If you compile your own kernel, things are a little different. If you build
it the standard way, you just "make install; make install_modules".
If you use the excellent kernel-package make-kpkg, you get a deb which you
handle as described above.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato