Re: how to install 2.2.17

"T. Sugawara" wrote:

> Hello,
>
> My name is Sugawara from Japan.
> I have questions about the installation process of the kernel with NCR5380
> SCSI controller.
> Please somebody give me the advice.
>
> I have installed the potato kernel ver.2.2.10 in my IIfx with 20MB RAM.
> When I didn't use another SCSI equipment, it works well.
> Since I wanted to use CD-ROM drive, I decided to apply the 2.2.17 as the
> document indicated.
> Though I tried as follows, the IIfx didn't work.
>
> 1. I downloaded files of vmlinux and modules for ver.2.2.17.
>
> 2. I located the extracted module files of 2.2.17 under the directory
> /target/lib/module/
> Since there is already ver.2.2.10 directory in /target/lib/module/, I
> removed it.
>
> 3. Reboot the system.
>
> 4. In the penguin booter, I changed the kernel file from "linux" to
> "vmlinux" which was extracted from 2.2.17.
>
> 5. I booted the system, but it hanged up in the beginning of debian install
> menu.
>
> My questions are ;
> 1.Should the modules name of a directory be changed from 2.2.7 to 2.2.10?
>
> 2.Is it correct that selection the "vmlinux" file in the booter settings?
>
> 3.Should the link of "vmlinuz" in root directory to /boot/vmlinuz-2.2.10 be
> changed to /boot/vmlinux which was 2.2.17 kernel downloaded ?
>
> 4.What was wrong with installation process?

You should have modules compiled for that specific kernel. Modules only
work with the kernel they are compiled with. Even another 2.2.17 kernel
will not work with the modules vice versa.

The kernel should be on you MacOS partition, the modules should be
placed in /lib/modules/<kernel-version>/* and be owned by root (You
could have left the 2.2.10 modules in the /lib/modules/2.2.10 directory,
a 2.2.17 kernel will automagically look in /lib/modules/2.2.17. Note
that Debian provided kernels sometimes have text added to the
kernel-version (I'm running 2.2.19pre17 on another box (i386) right
now). This should then also be used as the directory-name.

HTH, Erik
Erik Laan elaan at dds.nl (preferred), elaan at freeler.nl (messages