XF86 Error!

You've all seen it before [in fact it's mentioned throughout this list many
times]. However, I havn't yet found any advice that has helped.

On trying to 'startx' I get this:

fbdevScreenInit: unable to set screen params

All the posts I've seen have had something to do with the screen depth. So
I tried playing around with it. I got the same error for a depth of 1, 4
and 8. Then at 16bit it started [The little X cursor appeared] then it
closed down and gave me another error complaining I lack the video hardware
to run at that depth [which is true].

Does anyone *really* know what is going on and how they can help?
Cheers
Cameron

[I've since solved my harddrive problem, thanks for all the advice]