Re: Security? Re: Somebody build python2 for unstable (please, please!)

On Wed, 25 Apr 2001, Ingo Juergensmann wrote:

> On Wed, Apr 25, 2001 at 10:48:30PM +0200, Wouter Verhelst wrote:
<snip>
> > [buildd on A3000/25]
> [...]
> > > But a 030-25 is not really the fastest machine on earth and every app
> > > running in background will significantly increase build times.
> > Doesn't this go for most all m68k-boxes these days? ;-)
>
> Uhm, I do not consider a 060 slow - only as not so fast as todays standards.
> ;-)

LOL :-)

Well, OK. I'll give you that one.

> > Anyway, I've got a Centris 650 here too, which is mainly being used as
> > "input device" for my other system (who's monitor is broken).
> > Which means it's got lots of spare CPU-cycles, but OTOH it's got 16MB of
>
> >From my point of view, watching the buildd on arrakis, 32 MB should be the
> recommended minimum amount of RAM. The more the better, of course. ;))

Should be no problem.

As I said, it's still possible to add some RAM to this machine. I must be
having some unused RAM-SIMMs lying around here, and there's an unused
Centris 610 (No network, LC040) here too. With 20 Megs of RAM.

<snip>

> > RAM (and I can probably still add some) and lots of diskspace, both
> > on an old 4.1GB server disk (very fun, that one) and on NFS (My
> > workstation is switched off at night, but it's got 40 Gigs, so when it's
> > really necessary, I could probably get some more space there). So I
> > compiled the buildd-package
>
> Well, as stated to Branden, the chroot enviroment, which is needed, dislike
> NFS drives.

I just found that out when trying to build a custom kernel ;-)

> > However, I've not been able to find out how to configure buildd and
> > friends to automagically download and compile stuff. Could anyone help me
> > out here?
>
> Uhm, if I remember correctly, you don't need buildd source but sbuild & co.,

buildd, wanna-build and sbuild are all in the same source-package ;-)
(and quinn-diff too? Not sure)

> but Michael Schmitz will be able to tell you more.

I'll ask him for more information. Thx!

BTW: Why is there no buildd in the archive? Especially when configured
using some nice debconf-things, this would encourage people that are not
that technically skilled to set up auto-build-environments. Is there an
emotional or a technical reason to that?

--
wouter dot verhelst at advalvas in belgium
#ifdef NOT_A_GODDAMN_YANK