Re: joining this list

On Fri, Apr 13, 2001 at 04:28:16PM -0500, Michael Shuey wrote:
> > > If you mac uses the mac53c9x driver for scsi you want to might want to
> > > add mac53c9x=1,0 (1 scsi bus) or mac53c9x=2,0 (2 scsi busses) to your
> > > boot command. The second does make my machine pretty stable (Quadra
> > > 950).
> >
> > I only have one SCSI bus.  What exactly is this argument going to do that
> > isn't the default behavior?
>
> Until I gave my Quadra 950 the mac53c9x=1 arg the kernel detected _two_ SCSI
> busses, one for the internal jack and one for the external jack.  This is, I
> think, wrong.  Things didn't boot.  mac53c9x=1 forced it to one SCSI bus and
> it booted, although for some reason it won't use the external SCSI jack now.

Actually, that makes sense, if I remember my SCSI magic correctly.

Since we're not talking about wide SCSI, there can be only seven devices on
the interal chain.  The controller shows up as SCSI ID 7.  ID's 0 through 6
would be for devices on the internal bus.

There is probably then, a second channel, independent of the first, that
controls the external chain.

So, 2 buses is probably correct.  If it were a Wide SCSI controller things
would be different, as in the case of my BusLogic BT-948, where you have
SCSI ID's 0 through 15, and there is a narrow connector and a wide
connector on the card.  The controller sits in the middle at ID 7.

--
G. Branden Robinson             |   It's not a matter of alienating authors.
Debian GNU/Linux                |   They have every right to license their