boot loader?

Why can't a boot loader be written for 68k macs?  I would imagine that
MacOS relies on the boot rom in the hardware to boot (correct me if I'm
wrong) so why couldn't we be resourceful and hack the boot loader so
that it will load linux instead?  They managed to get AIX to boot
without a software boot loader from MacOS so why couldn't we get Linux
to do the same?  I've been going through all the old kernel traffics
looking for any comments on this subject with no luck.  I was hoping
somebody in this list could give me an answer.  Thanks.

Dave Huseby
huseby@shockfusion.com
(owner of 4 Mac IIci's running linux)