Re: new boot-floppies for testing

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 11:32:51AM +0000, pgrb@ygdrasil.demon.co.uk wrote:
Thanks for testing.

> Installed and working on my Macintosh Centris 610 with full 68040 replacing
> 68LC040.
The initial boot, installing the base, setting up the system until the first
reboot worked ok? Thats about all I usually test on my Amiga.

> I installed the rest of the distribution from the 2.2r2 CDs. The installer
> did not successfully auto-detect my CD-ROM - I had to manually tell it that
> the CD was at /dev/sr0.  (I don't know if this is expected behaviour.)
Did it autodetect the CD-Rom when you installed from the 2.2.r2 set?
(Not sure which version of the boot-floppies is on that set, I do not have
such a set...). Does it work with a different (ie 2.2.10) kernel?
I don't know whats expected behavious for a Mac, any Mac-xpert?

> The install hung while reading the third CD - I had to use the reset button
> as I could not use Cmd-F2 to move to the second virtual terminal.
> Subsequent re-booting and fscking left me with a pretty unusable system, so
> I re-installed from scratch.  This time it went through the third CD
> flawlessly (although I still had to manually tell the installer that the cd
> was at /dev/sr0).
Did this work when installing from the CD set?

> I hvae installed X-windows, get successfully to a login screen, but as I
> said elsewhere, a valid username password combination just gives me the
> login screen back after a short delay.  I guess this is dwon to my
> ignorance of how to configure X, rather than any probelms with your boot
> floppies 'though!
Install xterm.

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/