Re: problem upgrading to stable

On Sun, Feb 25, 2001 at 12:30:52AM +1100, Hamish Moffatt wrote:

> I just install potato on a Quadra 700. (My first non-i386 linux box.)
>
> I'm trying to upgrade to unstable, but I got the following:
>
> Preparing to replace libc6 2.1.3-13 (using .../libc6_2.2.1-1_m68k.deb) ...
> Unpacking replacement libc6 ...
> Replacing files in old package ldso ...
> dpkg: warning - old post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
> dpkg - trying script from the new package instead ...
> dpkg: error processing /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.1-1_m68k.deb (--unpack):
>  subprocess new post-removal script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
> dpkg: error while cleaning up:
>  subprocess pre-installation script killed by signal (Segmentation fault)
>  /var/cache/apt/archives/libc6_2.2.1-1_m68k.deb
>

> I installed the new textutils as suggested by
> http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/woody/
>
> but it hasn't helped.
>
> Any suggestions?
Looks like a different problem than I had. When I tried to install it, the
head command segfaulted, since it was used in postinstall(?) the
installation did not succeeed. After I recompiled textutils and installed
it, libc6 could be configured. Your error mesage does not say anything about
head segfaulting, so its a different problem?
Which kernel are you using? I am running 2.2.17, on kullervo (2.2.10) I
installed this libc in a chroot using the recompiled textutils deb.

Maybe its related to devpts, I don't think I am using that.
Can you try to find out which line in the postint.rm segfaults?

Maybe this should be reported to BenC, I only had problems with head, but
all kinds of packages might require recompilation (I am running a few more
experimental/testing packages, bash, gcc, make they made it work for me?).

Sorry, no further idea, but thanks for finding this out. Things like this
happen when there are no mac debian-m68 developers, or users running
unstable.

Christian