Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

"Christian T. Steigies" wrote:

> On Wed, Jan 10, 2001 at 11:38:45PM +0100, Michel Dänzer wrote:
> >
> > As I pointed out earlier, PPC works without any PCI support.
> Hmm, does PPC load libpcidata? Is there any special handling?

I don't remember, but I can ask someone on the APUS user list to send you a
log if you want.

> > > Note that I had to change an Imakefile to build stuff in bus/pci,
> > > because otherwise a makefile would go crazy. Maybe that was not the best
> > > idea?
> >
> > Everything is possible. Do you have a patch?
> Its in the 500_m68k patch. Right now it ony contains Imakefile patches,
> adding m68k where it was forgotten. I tried to mimic powerpc handling...

Sounds like a good idea to me...

> > Hmm looking closer at your previous log I begin to think the problem is
> > not about PCI at all. Here's a sane snippet:
> >
> > (II) LoadModule: "pcidata"
> > (II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
> > (II) Module pcidata: vendor="The XFree86 Project"
> >         compiled for 4.0.2, module version = 0.1.0
> >         ABI class: XFree86 Video Driver, version 0.3
> >
> > Yours failed right after the third '(II)' which looks like it is in the
> > loader code. Maybe something is wrong in the module metadata, similar to
> > the error you got now?
> Hmm, right, on my i386 PCI messages appear only one line later. What is
> wrong? ;-)

Sorry I wasn't clear enough. Your original log stops directly after the
'(II)', not even the 'Module pcidata: ...' is there. So it's probably not in
the pcidata module code that the segfault occurs.

> > Can you build a static server (#define DoLoadableServer NO in host.def)
> > and run it in gdb?
> I'll try to do that without rebuilding the complete package.

Yep, unfortunately, if my suspicion is right the problem won't show up there
because there will be no modules. But at least we'll know then.

Michel

Debian GNU/Linux (powerpc,i386) user \   member of XFree86 and the DRI project