Re: XFree86 4.0.2 status

On Fri, Jan 05, 2001 at 01:48:44PM -0500, Branden Robinson wrote:

> Bah.
Oh maybe youre lucky. Hesaid X4.0 is next on his list, for powrpc though.

> Put xserver-fbdev on hold, and upgrade as much of XFree86 as will upgrade.
I reinstalled xserver-fbdev from 3.3.6 (should be functionally equivalent to
your proposal?), edit my config a little (had to add a Driver line to the
Framebuffer Device) and started xdm:

XFree86 Version 4.0.2 / X Window System
Release Date: 18 December 2000
[...]
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a
(II) Module XFree86 Font Renderer: vendor="XFree86 Font Renderer"
(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/libpcidata.a
(II) Symbol memcpy from module /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libbitmap.a is unresolved!
[...]
Fatal server error:
Caught signal 11.  Server aborting

Same with startx. If I XF68_FBDev though (after removing Driver again,
unknown keyword otherwise...) I do get X to run, but I don't get any window
manager or xterm to start. Pretty useless. This try was with a remote ssh
login, if I do it from the console, it simply crashes with signal 8. Weird.

Anyhow, this does not look like a solution, since the modules are makeing
trouble right now?

Christian.