Re: dselect/apt (was: Re: Ok, so MACE works now...)

Ray Knight <audilvr@speakeasy.org> writes:

> > I must admit, though, it doesn't solve all problems. For instance, "apt-get
> > install X" doesn't get me anywhere. I've tried it with some things, and it
> > works, but not with others...
>
> The problem with apt-get is you must know the name of the package you
> want to install, which is not always obvious.  For instance what package
> contains binhex?

auto-apt is good for this. Besides its somewhat wicked idea to
automatically install packages when they are needed, it contains an
option to search for a (part of a) filename, and get the list of
packages that includes it. Much like dpkg -S, but it also works for
uninstalled packages.

It does it by reading the Content files from the apt sources.

Greetings,

Tomas