Re: Atlanta Linux Showcase - Possible Birds of a Feather Session?

Andrew McPherson wrote:

> On Wed, 6 Sep 2000, Ray Knight wrote:
<SNIPPED FOR SPACE >
> > What do you all say.  Anyone interested in pursuing this with me?
>
> That sounds like a great idea. Unfortunately, I'm nowhere near the Atlanta
> area, so I couldn't really be there to help. If you need a Mac or three,
> though, I might be able to ship you some. You could possibly set up some
> cross-compile terminals if you want to have a hacking session, to avoid
> the frustrations of slow computers. Maybe have a reverse-engineering
> session, as well. :) How about getting a logic analyzer while you're
> there?
>
> For Macs, I would recommend trying to find the most diverse array of
> hardware possible. That means, get a 5380 Mac as well as a 5394 and a
> 5396. Get a Mac with II, IIsi, IOP, Cuda, and PMU ADB. Get an IDE Mac.
> Getting an AV Mac would be especially cool. Get a couple different video
> styles- RBV, DAFB, Civic, etc. The nice thing is, you could actually do
> this without having every Mac in existence. A nice combination would be
> something like:
>
> SE/30: This would definitely be a good idea to have around- either this or
> a II/IIx/IIcx. These machines don't work well in 2.2 and could use a good
> hack-fest to fix them. The SE/30 is the most portable, so that would be a
> good choice. I have one that I could ship if you can't find one elsewhere.

Mail from Mike Renfro says he has the SE/30 covered.

> IIci: You have one, it has RBV, if anyone cares to fix Penguin for it.

I have two of these, one with a DayStar '040 so its a little snappier.

> IIvx: This runs pretty well as a demo machine, but would be useful if
> someone wanted to debug IIsi ADB in 2.3, since everything but ADB works
> fairly well.

I have one of these as well.

> IIfx: The IOP makes this a worthwhile hack, especially if people are
> having problems with NuBus on it. Plus, you have one.

Yup, go this one covered.

> Q950: Good machine for IOP testing as well as 5396 SCSI. If somebody wants
> to write a DAFB resolution-changing driver, that would be a good test
> machine. But it's so darn huge. :(

My build machine and I fixed the little bug causing the external bus to
hang.

> Q840AV: There's lots of fancy stuff, e.g. MACE, Civic FB,  DSP, Sound,
> etc, that could be hacked for m68k Linux. The AV Macs are probably the
> most interesting hardware challenge remaining. The 660AV would also work,
> but the NuBus slots make the 840 a better choice. That way, you could put
> in a standard 8390 board to get it on the network.

My neighbor has one, wants to sell it to me, I currently have much more
important things to spend my money on.  Maybe he'll let me borrow it for
the showcase.

> PB 1xx: Anything but the 100, 150, or 190 would work, I imagine. The 190
> (and 150, IIRC) have IDE that's not supported as well as a host of other
> stuff. The 5xx have buggy 040's and the Duo's are, well, strange. If you
> could get something like a 170 or 180 to try to write an ADB driver, that
> would be neat.

I traded a 160 for the IIfx because nothing at all seemed to work on the
160.

> So I guess that means that you'd have to find 3 extra Macs- an SE/30, a
> PowerBook, and an AV Quadra. That seems feasible. Not that I expect every
> major problem to be solved in 4 days time, but that array of Macs would at
> least provide an opportunity to hack on pretty much any problem somebody
> wanted to tackle.
>
> Anyway, I wish you luck. :)
>
> -Andrew

Now if I can get some other developers to show up.  Mike Renfro says he
should be at the Debian booth, so that makes two of us so far.   I wish
you could make it Andrew.  If you had the time and could make it down I
could provide you a place to stay.

--
Ray Knight
audilvr@speakeasy.org