Re: Does anyone know what this means

On Sat, Apr 08, 2000 at 03:14:21PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > When Linux, (2.0.36) from the slink distribution, is booting I get the
> > following error message
> >
> > mktime() has failed unexpectedly (rc-1) Aborting
>
> Ignore - your machine lacks hardware clock support in the kernel.
Are you sure? This looks much like the Y2K bug we have been discussing some
time ago allready...
There seems to be a bug in the kernel (writing invalid dates to the clock)
and probably a bug in hwclock. Seems nobody has tackled this yet, allthough
in principle people on linux-m68k agreed on a possible fix...
NetBSD had the same problem (on Amigas), they have a webpage describing how
it was fixed. It would be cool if somebody could implement something
similar...

AFAIK you dont have the problem anymore if you set the clock under Linux and
never write to it again under AOS, even with the (for AOS) invalid date, it
works fine for me this way. But then I synchronize with a PC as well...

Christian