RE: SE/30 Video Help

Sorry in advance to the list for my bad message cropping...

> no, No, NO! No 14" monitor. The entire point is to have an elegant
> little compact mac sitting on the table. :)

Good idea...

> Are there any other compact mac's (with a built in 9" display) that I
> could hack?

All of them up to the SE/30 use the proprietary connector.  The ones I'm not
sure about (I've never opened one up) are the Classic, Classic II, Color
Classic, and Color Classic II.  As you can probably guess, the Color Classic
and Color Classic II are both (surprise) color.  That increases the chances
that they would use a more standard video connector, but finding those is
really hard.

> As for the whole running X natively task... Has anyone ever attempted
> to run X on an SE/30? In my opinion, that person should be put on
> trial for crimes against computers, but seriously, does it run fast?
> Can it handle running X AND playing up mp3's over the network?
> Perhaps with an upgrade card? Perhaps one of the faster compact mac's?

I haven't tried, but I'm going to try soon...  The SE/30 ITSELF isn't fast
enough to play mp3s at all, and the only compact Mac that's faster is the
Color Classic II (not the 'original' Color Classic) and I doubt it has the
horsepower either.

> As for X server... would someone please point me in the direction of
> a good resource on running X servers? I have heard about it...
> (Correct me if I'm wrong), Xserver is to x as telnet is to console?
> Does it put the load on the client (se/30), or the server?

In short, yes.  An X server is like a Telnet session.  You are just viewing
the output on the client MACHINE.  (I never did understand why it's an X
SERVER, when the machine is the client.)  All your programs are running on
the server (in your case, it could be your 486 hiding under the table.)  So
you could use the SE/30 as just a graphical terminal.  10 Base-T is plenty
fast for it, I use it to make a 486 at home into a graphical terminal for
the Dual Pentium III that's hiding in the closet.