Re: Modules/devices

Hello everyone!

Hmmm...Gosh, I've got to comment on all of this! First, I'm about to install
the 2.2.17 kernel and modules, and such. Christian, I have to wonder about
your instructions to use "dpkg -x <package>.deb <dir to unpack to>" from an
email you sent at the beginning of November. Why do we want to unpack the
kernel images instead of installing them?

Tomorrow I will be booting the 2.2.17 kernel on my Quadra 610. I'll let you
know how it goes.

Second, I don't run any of the Window Managers, mainly because they seem so
slow. I had a terrible time attempting even to run a shell. I gave up and
went back to our friend the command line. (ugh, I might add, but better than
verrry verrry slooowww...)

Third, okay, maybe no third...I would like to know where to get the source
for the latest kernel builds (2.2.16/.17) so I can "roll my own" -- I love
the idea that it can take days to compile my own kernel, but that it still
works! (It's that whole "ideals" thing.) I looked through the last messages
and haven't seen an address for the source. Is it at the sourceforge site,
or somewhere else? I also looked back through the archives and saw
instructions on getting the source from the CVS server. Will those
instructions point me to the latest source?

I also note that the later kernels (at this point, later than 2.2.10) seem
to still be considered "unstable." How do they get labeled with "stability"
status (and thus, included in the boot floppies)?

Thanks!

Russell

  _its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
  _it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"