Re: Debian 2.2 on a Quadra 700

On Sat, Nov 25, 2000 at 09:07:14AM -0500, Jeff & Erika Sparks wrote:
> After taking most of the night to install the packages, I've finally got
> 'potato' booting! :-) However, now it is taking me directly into the GUI
> login & when I enter my login & password (as root or as the user acct I
> created during configuration) it leaves the login screen for about 5 seconds
> then pops right back to asking me to log in again! It isn't a question of
> the wrong username or password because if I do that on purpose it gives me
> the "Login Incorrect" message below the "login:" and "Password:" fields then
> resets to asking for me re-enter them. It just clears the screen as if it's
> accepted the password, etc. and is going to bring up the desktop, then goes
> back to square one. I even tried logging in at the command line as it was
> starting up (it asks for login and you have about 6 sec before it goes into
> GUI mode) but the GUI (GNOME) still wants a username & password. Any
> thoughts? Or at least can someone tell if there is a command line argument
> that I can give it when it boots (in the "Penguin Booter" prefs) to *not* go
> into the GUI? Thanks!

You are all just tying to test my patience, right?

Jeff+Erika, did you ever _read_ the other mails on this mailing list? Moses
has described exactly the same problem, so maybe you could try what he was
advised to do? If you are not subscribed to this list, search it with the
webarchive.
In short: install a window manager, look at the log files, switch to the
console with ctrl-alt-1, remove xdm if you don't like it.

If I had a lot of time and a free, large partition, I would try to reproduce
this problem on a fresh install. On my potato installation xdm is working
fine.

Christian
--
First they ignore you. Then they laugh about you. Then they fight you.
And then you win. [Mahatma Gandhi]      http://people.debian.org/~cts/