Debian 2.2 on a Quadra 700

Title: Debian 2.2 on a Quadra 700
After taking most of the night to install the packages, I've finally got
'potato' booting! :-) However, now it is taking me directly into the GUI
login & when I enter my login & password (as root or as the user acct I
created during configuration) it leaves the login screen for about 5 seconds
then pops right back to asking me to log in again! It isn't a question of
the wrong username or password because if I do that on purpose it gives me
the "Login Incorrect" message below the "login:" and "Password:" fields then
resets to asking for me re-enter them. It just clears the screen as if it's
accepted the password, etc. and is going to bring up the desktop, then goes
back to square one. I even tried logging in at the command line as it was
starting up (it asks for login and you have about 6 sec before it goes into
GUI mode) but the GUI (GNOME) still wants a username & password. Any
thoughts? Or at least can someone tell if there is a command line argument
that I can give it when it boots (in the "Penguin Booter" prefs) to *not* go
into the GUI? Thanks!