Re: removing xdm

http://moneytalks.giftworldnet.com/

> On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 06:26:14PM -0500, Moses Wildermuth wrote:
>
>> When I launch starrtx, X starts to run, then suddenly quits. I don't
>> remember entire error messages on VT.  It mainly said waiting for X to
>> exit.  Then exited normally.  So I ran xinit and took off that way.
> And when X fails it tells you to send the COMPLETE output you had on the
> screen. Capture it if need be (startx >log 2>&1), it contains important
> information, if you want other to diagnose your problem.

OK I will log it next time.

> I think you do get past the "pesky login" but, since you have no window
> manager, to script finishes or fails to complete and logs you out again.
> Just a wild idea, but I saw this happening when I was experimenting with
> my .xsession. NOTE: everything is fine if you do NOT have an .xsession,
> but things can be hosed if you have a wrong one.

I get past it now by uninstalling xdm.  When I got in before, it was because
xdm failed at bootup, I modified XF86Config until X started with startx,
then after rebooting I was down for 2 weeks or more because of that
repeating password..

> By install I mean "apt-get install fvwm", but better do it with dselect,
> since it might require additional packages (like fvwm-common).

ok, I did not see the package in my list but I will go grab it this way and
try it.

 NOBODY
> should insert ANYTHING into the startx script. If you did so, delete it,
> remove all X packages and start (with installing X) from scratch. startx
> is fine as it is shipped, if you want it to configure, you only edit
> config files, ie .xsession. Try man startx, man xdm, etc.

yes I read those man pages and modified .xsession a little(I think I only
added one line to start twm).  I can't remember because it was nearly 3
weeks ago.

 AGAIN: X and xdm
> are fine when all required packages are installed (required as in required
> for xfree to run fine, not necessary required by the packages), you do not
> have to edit any config file (except XF86Config _IF_ you are using a
> non-standard video mode (read: not 8-bit), but you are told so when
> installing X). That has been my experiance in all debian-m68k/potato
> (Amiga) installs, we worked hard to get this far.

xdm is not fine.  It won't stop asking for a password, this is not fine.  I
had to modify XF86Config totally to get my monitor and video settings close
to being right, AND I had to add the video= argument to the amiboot
script(that's not in docs either, at least I never saw it anywhere)

>> I always go all out for appearance balanced with functionality, of course
>> my definition of functional may not = any one elses. :-} I want a fancy
>> one just to say I did it. Debian and X have been very fast on my simple
>> 040/40warp engine, and I wanna push it a little.
> </sarcasm on>
> Cool, so you made your PhD before you got the Diploma? Nice tactic,
> guaranteed to get a good grade in the diploma.
> </sarcasm off>

This system should not be such a pain in bum to set up and it would get a
lot more support.  What can I tell people who ask me about using Debian?
It's a pain to install, a pain to set up, and the developer is sarcastic.
Yeah sign me right up.

Regards
--
MosesPro --> Money Talks Enterprises

http://www.angelfire.com/ia/mosespro, ICQ-13469530, AIM-Wolfy2264
A3000D, Warp040/40, Spectrum, ASDG Xserial, Nexus, 2+64 Fast+8 DMA(RAD:),
9+1.2gig SCSI2, Zip100 and  Pinnacle 2X CDR/W; Running Hot with OS3.5 and
Scalos1.2! Emulating MacOS7.61 and Win3.11WFW, Debian68k, X is next.