Re: Ethernet Buffer Overflow?

> Hello everyone,
>
> I know I asked a question about this earlier, but now I have it from a
> different angle:
>
> First, what causes it to overflow? I'm on an all Mac network at a school
> local to me, I figure that there is an errant machine sending way too much
> info for my poor little Quadra to handle. Or maybe it's the kernel?

Most likely the driver for the card you are using.

> Second, what can I do about it? Some one told me that I can bring down the
> interface and then bring it back up, but I can't do that when I'm not at the
> machine.

fix the driver. Look where it emits the particular message and do something
more intelligent than a stupid message.. reset the card if nothing else helps.

Alternatively have some log-watcher do the id-down/if-up for you if it sees
the message. To be sure setup a cronjob that tries a few ping's and does the
same if none returns

> Third, how do I keep it from overflowing in the first place? Do I just build
> a firewall, or use a different kernel? I think I'm using 2.2.14, but I can't
> check right now because I can't get into the machine remotely, probably
> because of the same "Ethernet Overflow" problem.

if it is mostly TCP connection try to halve the window size. Should be
decribed somewhere in the kernel docs.

Bye
Richard