Ethernet Buffer Overflow?

Hello everyone,

I know I asked a question about this earlier, but now I have it from a
different angle:

First, what causes it to overflow? I'm on an all Mac network at a school
local to me, I figure that there is an errant machine sending way too much
info for my poor little Quadra to handle. Or maybe it's the kernel?

Second, what can I do about it? Some one told me that I can bring down the
interface and then bring it back up, but I can't do that when I'm not at the
machine.

Third, how do I keep it from overflowing in the first place? Do I just build
a firewall, or use a different kernel? I think I'm using 2.2.14, but I can't
check right now because I can't get into the machine remotely, probably
because of the same "Ethernet Overflow" problem.

Thanks for any help!

Russell

  _its_ (no apostrophe) means "the thing that it owns"
  _it's_ (with apostrophe) means "it is"