Re: removing xdm

On Thu, Nov 23, 2000 at 12:35:28PM -0500, Henry Garcia wrote:

> If you use tasksel to install the complete X window system, it installs xdm
> and the x-task-window-system. xdm becomes a major problem if the gpm mouse
so maybe we should add some advice to the quickinstall not to install
x-task-window-system immediately?

> As far as ruining the filesystem, this did not happen by erasing the xdm
> file; just prevented xdm from running. For some reason xdm doesn't run if
> it's not there. Just run dselect after doing this and remove the xdm
> package.
removing the packge will also stop xdm from running. and the preferred way
to stop a daemon (but not removing it) is by /etc/init.d/<daemon> stop

> If you've never experienced the frustration that xdm causes by taking over
> your system and not letting you back in to fix it, maybe you couldn't
> appreciate a fix that works to get it back up and running again.
I had a lot of frustration whith many packages not running. but still I try
not to tell people how to do it wrong.

> A few more lines of code to detect gpm inconsistencies for the inexperienced
> user and suggest appropriate fixes would probably be in order. The lines of
> code exist in the i386 code. Why not the m68k?
Because you found a problem but did not care to submit a patch or bugreport?
The problems do not detect or solve themselves. People are doing that, and
if there is one thing m68k is lacking, its people who are helping.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato