Re: Installing X Windows on MAC QUADRA 800 (68k)

On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 06:45:25PM -0500, Josh Kuperman wrote:
> I have a Quadra 660av and haven'tgot X to work either. But the first
> thing you need is to install the server software as well.To run
> standalone XWindows your machine needs to be both the Xwindows server
> and client. You also need the font server xfs and you may want to try
> xdm - where you log into a display screen. (It failed for me).I get errors saying I need to put an entry for a screen for fbdev. I've no idea what they are talking about.
I think his problems are more basic, let him install xdm when X works.

> Also, check out the linux-m68k faq; I assume you've alread gone
> through most of the Debian sources. It has some interesting
> suggestions, which either are not detailed enough or don't work my
> machine. The URL is http://www.mac.linux-m68k.org/docs/faq.php
You mean: "The Linux/m68k for Macintosh FAQ"?
The linux-m68k FAQ is something else and at some other place
(www.linux-m68k.org maybe?).

> On Sun, Nov 05, 2000 at 04:11:34PM +0100, Patrick Atlas wrote:
> > I try to install and run XWindows on my QUADRA 800.
> > I have install those packages:
> > xbase-client with an error: libZ1 not found (but can't find it anyway on
> > www.debian.org, is it zlib1g?)
> > xserver-common successfully
Why don't you install the lib then? But how did you manage to install
xbase-client without zlib1g in the first place? Do you install by-hand with
dpkg or are you using apt? You should use apt, dependency problems are
mostly handled by apt (you are using Debian2.2, aren't you?). Or dselect,
try to avoid dpkg unless you know what you are doing.

> > When I lauch startx, I get an error:
> >
> > "X: exec of /usr/bin/X11/XF86_NONE failed"
You have no xserver package installed. Install xserver-fbdev.

Christian
--
http://people.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato