Re: Debian2.2 and clgen on Amiga3000

Moin,
On Sun, Sep 24, 2000 at 09:00:38PM +0200, Michael Schaffner wrote:

> 1.) The whole driver seems to run in some kind of "debug-mode",
> printing messages on the screen each time x is started, the
> console is changed via Alt-Tab and worst : every time the
> screen blanks or unblanks :-(
Right, thats how the "official" m68k kernel source comes. Maybe we should
build a new kernel-image with this patch applied?

> The system is nearly unusable -> while running the installation,
> the screen blanks,unblanks,blanks,... After coming home a few
> hours later you can't even read the messages from the installation
> you have to answer, only debug-messages from clgen.
> How can i switch this off ?
Huh, unusable? Blanking? I did not experience that, if you do not switch the
console and don't idle too much, nothing like that should happen. But I
agree, its an annoying feature.

> 2.) In my old setup i could set the resolution used by the driver
> in text- and gfx-mode using something like
> "video=clgen:monitorcap:55;90;31;64,mode:high"
> in the amiboot-start-line
> Clgen in the Kernel from Debian 2.2 seems to ignore all this :-(
> The "official" amiboot-line uses "video=clgen". I tried to change
> this without any visible effects. Changing the textmode with fbset
> works, though.
Selecting a different mode is no longer supported, thats a "feature" of the
2.2 kernel. If you want a different resolution, you have to hardcode it in
the source (one of the Andreas'es, mind to send a patch that I might add to
the potato FAQ?).

> 3.) Using the mouse under X hangs quite often for half a second or
> even longer (maybe this is related to the debug-messages ?!)
How fast, aehm, slow is your system? I found the speed ok on an A3000 where
I tested the installation.

> What am I doing wrong ? Is there nobody with a clgen-gfx-card
> using debian anymore ?
Quite a few clgen users seem to use debian, but none of them has given
anything back to debian-m68k or linux-m68k it seems. You have the card, you
have the source, you have a problem. Write a patch and send it to linux-m68k
(not talking about hardcoding another resolution, but about fixing the
driver so that you have the same functionality as you had with 2.0.36...)
BTW, its not a debian problem, its a linux-m68k problem.

Christian
--
http://www.debian.org/~cts/debian-m68k/potato