backed potato

This time I've read the Potato "Installation Guide for Macintosh" more than
three times and looked carefully at everything. I've even downloaded one
more time the "base2_2.tgz" file, but I can't go through the "Kernel Panic".
I've followed all the steps, configured two modules (vfat filesystem and
autofs), kept the default network settings and started "extracting the Base
System from /instmnt/mac/base2_2.tgz" And a few minutes later, the kernel
panic. Here is what's on my screen :

(many things in brackets)
                                             Unable to handle kernel access
at
Code : 6eee 9883 7e03 be82 6600 0088 1b6c 0050 003d 6000
Aiee, killing interrupt handler
Kernel panic : Attempted to kill the idle task!
In swapper task - not syncing

Maybe I should read the Installation Guide one more time?
Please... Help!