Re: 2.2.10 on Mac IIcx: SCSI doesn't work :-(

On Wed, 9 Aug 2000, Alexander Shumakovitch wrote:

>   [ Please CC: me as I'm not subscribed to linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org ]
>
> On Wed, Aug 09, 2000 at 12:26:15AM -0400, Ray Knight wrote:
> > Alexander try the 2.2.16 kernel available from
> > ftp://macduff.dhs.org/pub/cvs/vmlinux-2.2.16-080600.gz this was built
> > using the latest CVS source from mac.linux-m68k.org which has had some
> > further work done on the 5380 SCSI driver.  Let us know the results on
> > the mailing list linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org
> I've tried it. Now the disk partition is being recognized correctly and system
> proceeds with Init. But not very long, unfortunately :-( After writing
>   Calculating module dependencies...
>
> ('depmod -a' was running) the kernel crashed and started to output tons of
> trace and stack information which scrolled away too fast to be recorded. I
> only could see repeating patterns of
>   Aiee, killing interrupt handler
>   Data write fault at [some changing hex number] in Super Data (pc=.......)
>   BAD KERNEL BUSERR
>
> In a couple of minutes it all stopped with the last words of kernel being:
>   Kernel panic: Attempted to kill idle task!
>   No interrupt handler - not syncing
>
> When I've tried to reboot, the same happened even earlier at the beginning of
> fsck test (as the partition was unclear unmounted). I guess this happens at
> the first try to write something to the disk, as when I didn't have
> appropriate modules on the computer (and depmod was exiting immediately) it
> all went further till network setup. I suspected the problem to be in the lack
> of modules, installed them, and got what I've just described.
>
> I've also tried as someone suggested vmlinux-2.2.14-073100.gz, but it didn't
> find SCSI at all and died quietly after writing
>   Mac68K Z8530 serial driver version 1.01
>
> That's all what I got up to now.

I haven't seen this entire thread, so I apologize if I ask questions that
have been answered. What Mac do you have? Is it, perchance, an SE/30? The
SE/30 is not exactly in a nice, stable, working state at the moment. It
seems to top the list for total amount of broken stuff. :( I'm working on
it...

I was able to boot my SE/30 with vmlinux-2.2.14-073100.gz, but I get the
same buserr with the 2.2.16. Don't know why yet, but I don't think it's
the pDMA code.

>   --- Alexander.
>
> PS Could someone point out to a FAQ about how to make a Mac-DB9 null-modem
> cable. I'm already fed up with writing that criptic kernel output down with a
> pen instead of simply loging on a serial console. Thanks in advance!

My advice: get another Mac. Any Mac. Every Mac serial printer cable is
wired as a null modem cable, so you can just hook a cable from one Mac to
another without any special adapter. I suppose you could add a DB9 adapter
to one end of the cable to hook to a PC, but I've never tried it.

The other nice thing about serial output is that some of the most
important messages show up before the main console ever comes up.

-Andrew