Error - VFS Cannot open root device 00:00

I tried installing potato on my Mac 840av (48M RAM) last night and made it a
lot farther that when I tried slink.  Using the Color by Penguin option, it
boots into Linux and everything seems to be going OK until I get this:

RAMDISK:  Compressed image found at block 0
VFS Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)
VFS Cannot open root device 00:00
Kernel panick:  VFS:  Unable to mount root fs on 00:00

Penguin reports an error shutting off slot1, but it continues to boot.  I'm
using the files (linux and root.bin) from the mac directory in the
macinstall.gz archive.  Has anyone seen this or know how to get around it?

Thanks,

Craig Daniels
craig.daniels@hboc.com