Re: But my Mac can't even find the modem port

> I use the slink version or the current. I always receive the message "ttyS0
> is a undefined"  "ttyS1 is a undefined." I tried setserial, but Michael
> Scmitz said this was an Intel program, try setsccserial. This program says
> its an Amiga specific package and won't install even with the --force
> option. My PC defines the ttySx's fine, 16550a etc.

Do yourself a very big favor and look through the mailing list archives for
the answers you are looking for. If you have a Mac you might want to spend
some time doing research on the mac.linux-m68k.org website, or its cousin
(which has more current info) maclinuxstatus.sourceforge.net, or mail your
questions to: linux-mac68k@mac.linux-m68k.org But do your research first.
Check http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/ and look for the "Ports" section
about 2/3 the way down the page. Don't forget you can also get some info
from non-m68k sources, since, after all, Linux is Linux. Also check the
LinuxPPC mailing list archives (lists.linuxppc.org), because they have Macs
that do share some similarities with m68k Macs. (The serial port question
comes to mind)

> But I'm trying to get my serial ports to work on the Mac, not the PC. What
> chipset is used on the IIci. Did your install program identify them the
> first go round? Or did you have to fight with it to get it to run?

I guess Debian just likes me. I had no trouble with serial ports on my
machine. Check the mailing list archives, since someone gave me a way to
test my serial ports...

>> What model of Mac?  Appletalk isn't supported,

Appletalk _is_ supported, but you have to do your homework. There's a
package called netatalk
ftp://ftp.uk.debian.org/debian/dists/potato/main/binary-m68k/net/netatalk_1.
4b2+asun2.1.3-6.deb but you'd have to play with it to get it to work over
serial instead of ethernet.

>> How do you link to the Internet via DSL.

First, you have to have a DSL connection. Second, you have to know what kind
of DSL connection you have. Is it static? DHCP? PPPOE? Something else?
Third, you have to get familiar with whatever package is necessary for your
type of connection...

Good luck!

Russell