Potato boot floppies on Mac getting "invalid compressed format"

After searching the archives I found someone else that encountered the same problem, but nobody followed up with a solution, so I thought I'd ask:

I tried both the "macinstall.tgz" from ftp://ftp.debian.org/pub/debian/dists/potato/main/disks-m68k/current/ and also the 'mac' directory from the same place. In both cases whenever I try running Penguin-18 with the "linux" kernel supplied I get the following message:

     GUnzipping Root:install:mac:linux
     .
     invalid compressed format (err=2)
     Error:
     Unable to read exec header from kernel file (sread error)

Please help!

Thanks in advance,
-Eric