Re: Potato Installation guide

On Thu, Jun 15, 2000 at 01:40:39PM +0200, Michael Schmitz wrote:

> > Here it is and hopefully reasonably complete and correct.  I would be
> > grateful if anyone identify's errors and omissions would let me know and I
> > will put them right.  This document is very similar to the slink guide so
> > most should be familiar
>
> OK, some comments:
>
> 1) I have attached a reformatted version of the document, to aid others in
> printing/editing it and hopefully sending in further changes.
Thanks to both of you.

> >potato, the previous version 2.1 is known as slink and the version before
> >is woody.  You may find this helpful when navigating WWW and FTP sites.
>
> The version before slink was hamm. 1.3 was bo if I recall right. The next
> version after potato is going to be woody.
Yup, noted that as well.

> macinstall-floppy-hfs.img is a raw HFS image file that was used to
> temporarily store install files on a HFS filesystem in order to convert
> them between various encodings. It serves no other purpose. The
> Install.sit archive originally refered to in the old install guide has
> been discontinued.
> Please don't mention this file, it should disappear from the mirror
> anyway. Christian, can you make sure this doesn't get included into the
> upload anymore? Or in case the CD scripts need it, tell the CD people to
> delete it afterwards.
AFAIK its not used by the CD scripts, at least I do not see it on first
glance. I can kick it, I think.

> Please add a note to download the Penguin*.hqx files from mac/install
> on the FTP site and feed them through binhex. The booter files are not
next time the will be in mac/ not mac/install.
> otherwise present on the CD or FTP site. Please do also mention the
> precise directory structure on the FTP site needs to be preserved (with
> base2_2.tgz in some folder, and a subdirectory mac/ and mac/images-1.44/
> there with the correct files in).
yup, important. What about a macinstall.tgz? If we get rid of the
duplication of files, I see no reason why not have tgz files in the
boot-floppies to download all at once? Lets see what comes out of my build
today, I am bulding [amiga|atari]install allready.

> >Root partition
>
> >The absolute minimum should be 20 Mb  This is just enough to install the
>
> More like 35 to 40 with potato I think.
I think we wrote 25 now, thats about the size of base.tgz, but more might be
needed, I did not experiment with this.

> >When asked if you want to do a bad-block scan, you can safely skip this
>
> The bad block check was removed I think.
was it? hmm. dont remember

Ok, you did not put in all your comments yet. I will wait for further
comments and merge things (if I dont get a merged version) somewhen tonight.
After soccer, is there life after soccer? ;-)

Anyway, thanks for the guide, thanks for reformatting.
Just one question, what is the Debian GNU/Linux Licence?

Christian