Re: hwclock

Well, I got this from the Apple Tech Info Library (not very tech, though, is
it?)

Only the Time Zone and Daylight Saving Time settings are saved only in PRAM,
not the current date or time. After resetting the PRAM, Time Zone and
Daylight Saving Time settings are restored to their default factory settings
which are:
                                 No Time Zone has been specified
                                 Daylight Saving Time checkbox is unchecked

                          The current date and current time settings are
retained in a separate clock chip on the logic board. This clock is not
reset unless the computer's external power and battery power are removed
from the computer. Additionally, some Macintosh computers include a reset
button on the logic board which also resets the current date and current
time.

> Macs have a generic problem, it's called
> 'No-one-knows-how-the-friggin-box-works'. There is no way to set the Unix
> time other than having MacOS pass the correct time to the booter, and
> there's no way to set the hw clock from Linux.

Well, from this, it appears that maybe we could get the time out of the
PRAM--do 68k macs have PRAM? I know, low priority. Someday I'll be able to
make more contribution...<sigh>

> If that version of MacOS has a y2k problem, you need to fix either kernel
> or booter to handle the broken time format.

Macs never had a Y2K problem... ;-)