Re: Keyboard? What Keyboard?

At 7:44 AM -0400 6/1/00, greg kaslowski wrote:

>Hi, I have an Macintosh IIci I'm gearing up to put debian on...
>Where does the keyboard plug in?...
>There are two other small din connectors with a
>symbol above them...It is a vertical line
>with two 90-degree lines going left and right...I
>think I remember the keyboard plugging into the monitor. Is this right?
>Looks like I've got no chance of using a common pc-type keyboard with this
>unit, so if anyone can tell me what type of keyboard it is, I can try to
>find one. Thanks.

The "small din connectors" you mention (4-pin mini) connect to the Apple
Desktop Bus, or ADB;they are the ones for keyboard, monitor and mouse. My
monitor and keyboard each have two of these connections as well, giving me
multiple configuration options; mine is

              monitor  |----| |---------
                ^      v   computer    |
                |   mouse              |

Apple Computer makes, or made, standard ADB keyboard and extended (105-key)
ADB keyboards; a number of third-party developers also make Mac-compatible
models.

You'll also need an ADB-compatible mouse, although I saw something in the
FAQ about there existing adaptors to connect pc-mice to the ADB.

Hope this helps,

Jonathan