Re: thanks

From: Jan M. Dziewulski <ofan@gmx.net>
To: debian_m68k@hotmail.com
Subject: Re: thanks
Date: Fri, 02 Jun 2000 09:31:36 +0000

I can't seem to find anything on the Debian site, apart from the boot
floppies, but you can perhaps use the Booter file (provided with Mkfs and
Installer) I know that this is for the BSD fs, but there should be one for
the Linux fs if you search among the different distributions... you NEED the
MacOS. There is no way round this, given Apple's implementation in ROM :(
You'll have to squeeze your distribution onto that HD, or buy a new one,
though. Anyway, there isn't anything like loadlin available for the 68k macs. You have to boot by floppy/wait till the MacOS has fully booted, and then use the Booter (if you can find one that works with Linux fs. There is one under
NetBSD fs, if you want to give it a last desperate try though...)

 -Jan

humm, looks like I've got a lot more reading to do on this than I assumed. How much of the OS is on the drive, and how much in ROM? Will I need to get macOS media to repartition? This might be more interesting than the move from intel to sparc & alpha was(old sparcs and alphas that is, can't afford new ones).

Looks like I'll be spending a lot of time at ebay, looking for various odds and ends.

Gregg