Booting a 2.2 kernel on an SE/30

Since I've never been able to boot anybody's precompiled 2.2 kernel on
my SE/30, I decided to compile my own and see how it goes. The good
news is that I get farther into the boot sequence than I ever have
before. I am now getting errors related to the NCR5380 scsi controller
and then, of course, the kernel is unable to mount the root file
system.

There are several screens full of messages which I don't want to type
in; here are a few that seem more important than the others:

mac_insert_irq: Warning: dev_id of MacSCSI5380 is zero
scsi0: generic 5380 at port 50F10000 irq 19 options CAN_QUEUE=4
CMD_PER_LUN=2 release=1
scsi0: generic options AUTOSENSE generic release=7
scsi0 :
scsi : 1 host.
scsi : aborting command due to timeout : pid 0, scsi0, channel 0, id
0, lun 0 Test Unit Ready 00 00 00 00 00
NCR5380 : Coroutine isn't running.
STATUS_REG: 00
BASR: 18
ICR: 00
MODE: 00
scsi0 REQ not asserted, phase unknown.

Has anybody else been down this road successfully?  I don't understand
the significance of the mac5380=2,4 kernel options so I don't know
whether I should try other values.

By the way, this machine runs a locally compiled 2.0.36 kernel just
fine. When I set up the kernel configuration I recall there were 'old'
and 'new' NCR5380 drivers available. I selected the 'old' one. The 2.2
configuration appears to have only the new one.

-- Mark