Debian 2.1 on Quadra800 (Ethernet does not work)?

Hello,

I have successfully installed Debian 2.1 on a Quadra800. Everything works
fine, except the Ethernet:
- it is detected by Penguin (built-in, SONIC)
- it is tested on MacOS (so the hardware and my LAN is ok!)
- it is configured (IP address, routes etc.)
- no error messages appear at startup (it seems to be detected an initialized
  ok)
but...
- it oviously does neither send nor receive packets (testing with ping to
  another Linux box's IP address in my LAN, watching the 10baseT hub LEDs
  for traffic -> no traffic, 100% packet loss).

I assume that there must be something wrong near the hardware driver.
The SONIC appears to be found at 0x50F0A000 and has assigned IRQ9 - whatever
this means in the mac context.

Is there anybody out there who might have an idea what could be wrong?

Thanks!
--

Lukas Zeller (luz@hardturm.ch)