Re: Potato boot floppies problems on MVME (was Re: MVME162, The saga continues.....)

On Thu, Apr 06, 2000 at 03:53:20PM +0100, Richard Hirst wrote:

> With potato the /sbin/fdisk script in root.bin is broken for Motorola VME
> boards.  This is a root.bin I grabbed from
uh-oh...

> Doesn't work because $2 is "Motorola", $3 is "MVME*".  I changed the
> setting of Arch to
>
>     Arch=`cat /proc/hardware | ( read line; set -- $line;
>           if [ "$1" = "Model:" ]; then shift; echo $* ; fi)`
>
> and that works for "Motorola MVME177", but I've no idea whether it will
> break Amiga etc.
Dunno, can you test that part on kullervo?

> Alternatively we could just change the match in the case statement to
> be
>
> 	BVME*|Motorola)
I hope Nick will decide which way to go and submit a fix?

> Another problem with that root.bin is that /dev/console is major 4 minor 0,
> which is wrong for 2.2 kernels.  Should be major 5 minor 1.  If I don't
> fix that then the install on MVME hangs with "Cannot open initial console".
Nick? I dont even know where it comes from...

> I was also surprised that the tftplilo.conf didn't append "console=ttyS0"
> (note ttyS0, not /dev/ttyS0 as per 2.0 kernels), but that hasn't mattered
> so far.
I am pretty sure that I used the config from the deb file. If this is wrong,
it should be fixed in the deb.

> I've only got as far as partition harddisk so far, but I have base2_2.tgz
> so I'll continue and see what happens.
Ive been changeing a bit, maybe I have forgotten some vme files in that
build. I will upload something new tomorrow, if the next build goes well, it
will be an offical upload, if not, you'll find it on my debian page.

Christian