Hooray! Success! Now, a followup question

Now that I've got the new kernel running (2.2.14), and figured out the
modules on my Quadra 610, I need to know which is my modem port. Is it tty1,
tty2, something else? I know that on my LinuxPPC system I had to make a
symlink to /dev/modem from ... well, I don't remember. Is this similar to
Debian?

Or, maybe it's better for me to connect my cable modem to finish doing the
install. If I can do that, it sure would be a lot faster! Of course, the
question here is, how do I get the networking working? I know that on my
LinuxPPC system (my only real Linux reference) just typing 'dhcpcd' does all
of the work, and reports back your dynamically assigned IP address, and you
are connected to the net. Is there a specific Debian package that does this?
If so, what is it? Is there anything else I need to know?

Answers to either of these questions will be very happily accepted!

Thanks!

Russell