Re: Debian on the 650 Quadra

<snip>

I've run into several difficulties with all kernels prior to 2.2.x.  I
never bothered to bring up any of the issues cause 2.2.x seemed to fix all
my problems. The latest i believe is 2.2.14.  Anyway, I dont' think your
problems are with the kernel, but it wouldn't hurt to try a newer kernel,
just thought that info would be useful

>So, it boots up, allright, but when the Installer starts, something weird
>happens: I can't select anything with the keyboard. I've previously used
>Debian on other platforms, and thought it would work the very same way
>here: Choose with the up and down keys, select with the Return key. It
>just don't work. It reacts on no keys at all, except the other terminals,
>see below.
>
>Even more weird: The other terminals, availble with Command-F1 - F3
>actually _do_ work, I run commands on the terminal at the console, and
>whatch the init process log and the kernel log.

This is a known bug, simply switch to another console and type in
dbootstrap and it should work

>Up   : ^[[A
>Down : ^[[B
>Right: ^[[C
>Left : ^[[D

the arrow keys aren't defined to do much of anything in the shell, they
should work find in dbootstrap tho.  If not this might be a new bug?

>The Box:
>Macintosh Quadra 650
>16MB RAM
>2 scsi disks, see kernel log.
>

>Kernel log (output from dmesg):
>Linux version 2.1.131 (dave@overlord) (gcc version 2.8.1) #113 Mon Feb 1
>23:21:01 EST 1999
>m68k_parse_bootinfo: unknown tag 0x800b ignored
>Detected Macintosh model: 36
<snip>
>adb: MacII style keyboard/mouse driver
>adb: init done
>Configuring keyboard:
>leds on ...
>configuring coding mode ...
>keyboard init done
>M68K Serial driver version 1.01
>Mac68K Z8530 serial driver version 1.01

<snip>

Weirdo				"I need 5 ccs of
(Clay Ginsburg)			people stat " - anonymous
clay@bellaire.org		AIM: Weird82 icq: 4402648