More Kernel compile

Well,

Here is the latest error message I got while trying to cross-compile from
LinuxPPC to m68k:

m68k-linux-as: error in loading shared libraries
libc.so.6: ELF file machine architecture not ppc
init/main.c:0: output pipe has been closed
cpp: output pipe has been closed
make: *** [init/main.o] Error 1

What I don't understand is why I was able to do a 'make dep.' I got no
errors in doing that, but when I began the actual compile, (using 'make
ARCH=m68k') the error message I got is listed above.

Can anyone help me figure out the error message, and tell how to go about
correcting the problem that caused it to be generated?

Thanks!

Russell