Re: Can't compile 2.2.10 kernel for my A1200

On Tue, Mar 21, 2000 at 09:31:45AM +0100, Michael Schmitz wrote:
> > I try the kernel from ~cts/debian-m68k/kernel-image/ and I can't have
> > if boot properly, after some messages on the ECS screen :
> >
> > console: switchnig to colour frame buffer device 80x32
> > fb0: Amiga ECS frame buffer device, using 640K of video memory
> > >clgenfb_init()
> > clgen: Driver for Cirrus Logic based graphic boards, v1.4?
> > clgen: no supported board found
> > CV3D detected running in Z2 mode
>
> AFAIK the CV3D is only supported as Zorro3 device.
Wrong. Its working since christmas 1998. Remember, I have only Z2 slots, and
my CBM8833 mon died in spring 99...

I think the problem is the A1200, throw it away and get an A2k. Seriously, I
do not remember anyone with an A1200 and a CV3D who got this board to work,
correct me if Im wrong. The board is addressed differently on Z2 and Z3,
people with an A1200 need some extension board to use the CV3D? No idea how
it is working there, somebody has to find out how to address this board. I
heard under AOS all works well, without any drivers, this seems not to be
the case with Linux. No A1k2 here, neither an extension board, so I can only
guess.

If you want to work on this, contact Ken, he worked a lot on the CV3D
driver, but this is not (yet) working for Zorro2, last time I tried I could
initialise only 640x480, next time Ill try will not be before may.

Did you get the CV3D to work in your A1k2 with the 2.0.36 kernel? That would
be very strange, since the driver is in principal the same. You know that
the video option changed somewhere in 2.1.x? Not its video=virge, no longer
video=virgefb, somewhere on my debian page is a text document (cv3d.txt),
its also on the slink CDs.
If you did not use the CV3D with 2.0.36, maybe using video=aga or whatever
it is for you will do the trick? Maybe even add virge:off (correct, Ken?)

In the kernel message you see that I compiled it with gcc272. It it working
on my A2000/CV3D/B2060/... so I dont think there is a problem with long or
short jumps or whatever. However the kernel froze two times after about 8h
building xfree. Until this time, it was working fine, the CV3D is working.
I also got confirmations from A4k users that the kernel is working for them,
so I bet you either have a hardware problem (extension board) or you are
using the wrong video parameter.

Christian