Re: Re: Re: Can someone spare some CPU time?

On Thu, Jan 06, 2000 at 10:50:43PM +0100, Henrik Farre wrote:

> Sorry but I did. But let's start from the beginning:
good start :-)

> I started running Linux some time ago, the system was made up of stuff
> downloaded from sunsite, I had a custom kernel compiled by another user, it
> had a version of 2.0.34, the system was a bit messy, so I upgraded to
must have been a very custom kernel, I cant remember 2.0.34. we had 2.0.33
for a long time, and next 2.0.36. Did I miss something?

> Now I have a Debian 2.1 system (100% new install) . And I decide to download the source of
> 2.2.10, to get the most out of my old Amiga, but still errors:
>
> sched.c:109: warning: alignment of `aligned_data' is greater than maximum object file alignment
its a warning, ignore
> rd.c: In function `rd_load_image':
> rd.c:521: warning: int format, long int arg (arg 3)
its a warning, ignore
> virgefb.c:1001: warning: #warning FIXME: We should reinit the graphics engine here
its a warning, ignore (this is what I try to work on, when I have the time...)
> process.c:50: warning: alignment of `init_task_union' is greater than maximum object file alignment
its a warning, ignore
> bindec.S: Assembler messages:
> bindec.S:487: Error: Value of -512 too large for field of 1 bytes at 511
> make[1]: *** [bindec.o] Error 1
> make: *** [_dir_arch/m68k/fpsp040] Error 2
and this is the error message I replied to allready today, on this list.
I am quite tired right now, otherwise i would become angry again...

> When I asked for help on this problem I got this answer:
>
> "The Debian m68k 2.2.10 kernel patch package already includes a patch for
> this."
>
> (see
> http://www.debian.org/Lists-Archives/debian-68k-9912/msg00027.html)
And Andreas said today (not as a reply to that msg, but to the same topic):
 I recently succeeded compiling 2.2.10 on my potato-box by using the
 kernelsource form ftp.sunsite.auc.dk and applying some of the 2.95 fixes
 found in the kernel-patch-2.2.10-m68k_*.deb package in potato. So it
 _looks_ like it is possible to use gcc 2.95.

 It has been running stable so far.

You did not read that, did you? No more comments, I would regret it...

> When I first installed Linux I saw a chance to bring some new life to
> my amiga, but I found Linux running a bit slow and to eat a lot of
> mem, so I thourgt a kernel update would help a little bit.....
hmm, if you think so...

> Sorry if I wasted your (CPU) time
Not my CPU time.

Christian
--
Read... read... read again... then ask. Maybe.