Re: Successful build of root.bin on 68k Mac

> Note that I know *nothing* about the boot procedure on any m68k architecture
> other than Macintosh.  So while I can certainly build these images, I won't
> be able to test them or even check them for correctness.

I'm more than happy to test :-)

> Library reduction actually works.  Even with glibc2.1, it seems!
>
> Which reminds me - I'm currently building images with glibc2.1, because
> that's what all my machines are running at the moment.

And we _should_ switch anyway, if at all possible.

> > BTW: did you (or anyone) rebuild mac-fdisk already?
>
> No, that's on the list of things to do.  It overwrite-conflicts with
> pmac-fdisk-cross so that should get done before potato.  Are you still
> maintainer of either of these packages, or have you orphaned them?

Not formally :-) I'll build a new version on kullervo RSN.

> Actually replacing mac-fdisk is still on my list of goals, I don't know if
> I'll get around to that soon or not.

What's wrong with mac-fdisk? But perhaps we should put the MacOS version
into Install.sit, and include some docs (the b&w G3 install page has a
good pdisk intro).

> Incidentally what is the difference between the partitioning conventions
> used by m68k Macs and those used by PowerPC ones?  I'd like to kill
> pmac-fdisk-cross if at all possible.  I'd also very much like to be able to
> use MountX :)

PowerMacs and m68k Macs use the Apple partition format -> mac-fdisk. Other
PPC machines (PREP, CHRP, ...) use the DOS partition format. As Nick
pointed out, pmac-fdisk-cross is used by the VME port. We should rename
pmac-fdisk to powerpc-fdisk or pc-fdisk or dos-fdisk perhaps (or make sure
cfdisk is endianness clean and use that).