Re: New installation, newbie questions -- reply

On Mon, Oct 11, 1999 at 05:01:46PM -0400, Sara Maene wrote:
> However, now that X is actually working, another problem has cropped up --
> after typing in username and password at the X login screen, I get dumped
> back out after a few seconds!  I can't login.  <Ctrl>-<Shift>-<Delete>
> gives me a second's view of the pre-X boot screen, then drops me right
> back to the X login screen...

This suggests that you have a ~/.xsession that is somehow damaged or
non-executable. Try the following:

  At the login screen, type you username and password but DO NOT PRESS
ENTER after the password. Press F1. This should get you a single xterm
with no window manager. Check the ~/.xsession file - if you do not have
it, try something like this:

------------------cuttez------------------
#!/bin/sh
wm&
xterm&
xterm -iconinc -geometry 80x5

NOTE - there is no & on the last line.

--
---MAV

Marc A. Volovic               | Comfort, n: A feeling one gets from
marc@bard.org.il              |   contemplating discomfort in another.
http://www.bard.org.il/~marc  |                   A. Bierce.