Re: Release plans for potato/m68k?

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, David Huggins-Daines wrote:

> 1) What version of libc will we be going with?

I think 2.1 would be best, since 2.1 is said not to be source compatible
and it would be a definite plus if everything compiled flawlessly.

> 2) What version of Linux will we be going with?  The Macintosh definitely
> needs a 2.2 kernel, as none of the new features (colour framebuffer, network
> device support, ADB on the IIfx/Q900/Q950/Powerbook, etc) are in 2.0.36 nor
> are they likely to be back-ported.

I also like the idea of a 2.2 kernel, basically because the 2.0 one that
came with Debian crashes on my machine.

> 3) Who is doing the boot-floppies?  I remember that I volunteered to do them
> for the Macintosh, and I'm now setting up my build and test machines, but I
> need to coordinate with whoever does them for Amiga, Atari, MVME, and hp300.

I think we can recycle most of the Amiga stuff. amiboot is the same, the
kernel is not our fault, base.tgz is common to all archs and the rest is
docs and scripts.

> 4) How do we manage the different kernel-patches (the Mac will most
> definitely need an additional patch above and beyond Jes' kernel - we are
> merging only in 2.3)

Truly evil would be to merge all of the kernel patches. Take a clean
kernel, place it in CVS, apply one patch, commit. Apply the next, resolve
conflicts, commit, ... This would be some hard work, but definitely worth
it.

   Simon

PGP public key available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/pgp/geier.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1