Re: problem making bootable

On Mon, 4 Oct 1999, Mark Herbert wrote:

> I am new to Debian and to Linux, I am trying to install Debian on a
> Macintosh Quadra 610 but when I get to making linux bootable directly from
> Hard Disk I get an error saying that it is not yet possible to install LILO
> on m68k. I also tried making a bootable floppy but it doesn't want to see
> the disk in the floppy drive.
>
> What do I do?
Read the installation guide?

ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de:/pub/Linux/debian/dists/slink/main/disks-m68k/current/mac/install.txt

 So, one last step is required from you before you can boot your
   freshly installed Linux: Go to the directory containing the
   installation files and start up the Penguin booter, holding down the
   'command' key. Go to the 'Settings' dialog (command-T), and locate the
   kernel options line (should look like root=/dev/ram video=font:VGA8x16
   or such). The important thing to change is the entry

     root=/dev/yyyy

   In this line, replace the
  yyyy

   with the Linux-wise partition name of the root partition onto which
   you installed the system - like sda1, hdb3, whatever it was, you
   figure. The 'video=font:VGA8x16' is my recommendation especially for
   users with these tiny screens like on a SE/30; the kernel would pick a
   prettier (6x11) font but the console driver for this font can hang the
   machine, so using 8x16 (or 8x8, on the small displays) is safer. If you
   don't want to start Linux immediately each time you start the booter,
   uncheck the 'Auto Boot' option.

    Save that file, using the 'Save Settings As Default' option.

   If you installed from floppy disks, copy "Penguin-15" and "linux" to a
   folder on your harddrive, and create the Preferences file as described
   above.

    Now you can just double click on the "Penguin" icon in that folder to
   actually start the system, booting from the just installed harddisk
   instead of the ramdisk filesystem.

Ciao,
Christian.
--
Read the FAQ!                     http://www.linux-m68k.org/faq/faq.html
Download the FAQ!   ftp://ftp.uni-erlangen.de/pub/Linux/680x0/FAQ/FAQ.gz