Re: hello (please read)

You can get Debian GNU/Linux 2.1(M68K) Part # L000-024 for 8.95 from:
https://linuxcentral.com/order/domestic/sd-order.html

As far as installation manuals, there is really no specific install document for Macintoshes per say, however the best information that I could find is located at:
http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/m68k/install
The is also an adobe acrobat file of this same doc somewhere out there.

The 80MB external will not be enough to install the full distribution.  I definitely suggest you back your internal hard drive to either tape, jaz or a network server (if your're lucky enough as  me to have a 10G network drive to back your HD to).  After you do this,  you will need to format and partition your drive by using the "Apple HD SC Setup 7.3.5" application available from the Apple software archives. NOTE: You can also use the partition manager that comes with LINUX but I don't necessarily recommend it. You need a sizeable Mac HFS (for your current mac files), A/UX Root&Usr partition (I suggest at least a 300 MB), and A/UX Swap (40 MB should be fine) in the least.

If you just want to be able to boot the box into Linux (make sure you have Stuffit), download the following files from ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-m68k/current/mac/
Debian-m68k-2.1-mac.img.hqx
install.sit.hqx
Install-hfs-raw.img (??)
install.txt
mac-fdisk.txt

The base installation also requires that you also download the file:
ftp://ftp.debian.org/debian/dists/stable/main/disks-m68k/current/common/base2_1.tgz

Instruction are fairly clear from that point on, however I am personally still having problems with the install...

>>> _chris_ <devil.chris@net.ntl.com> 8/27/99 7:03:16 AM >>>
> Hello,

> i wonder if anyone could help me, i am new to this linux stuff. and i would like to know if any of you can
> guide me along a bit.

First thing where can i get Debian for a 68k Macintosh? i prefer it to be on CD Rom.

Does Debian work on any Macintosh? I have a Quadra 700, 20mb ram, 256kb Color Video Card.
I have a Ethernet adattor which i use to connect to the Network, from where i gain Internet Access.
I also have a Apple 150 Cd rom. And 1gb hard drive for Mac OS 7.6.1, and i have a spare 80mb Interal Hard
Drive.

So how do i start formating my hard drive? and what else should i know? i don't have a clue, so if there are
any beginner manuals?

Many thanks for your help and time!
-chris