Re: wmaker and corrupted icons

On Fri, 27 Aug 1999, [koi8-r] çÁÌÉÎÓËÉÊ áÎÄÒÅÊ ÷ÌÁ[koi8-r] ÄÉÍÉÒÏ×ÉÞ wrote:

> Nobody answered my question, so I`m re-posting it.
> I wonder what`s wrong with Window Maker, it displays corrupted icons on my
> 8bit screen (silouettes are there, but the colors are totally screwed up).

I guess you mean only the palette is corrupt, but the image data is not.
Please correct me if I'm wrong.

> I believe it`s because WMaker images are true-color, and slink X-server or
> maybe WMaker itself doesn`t support converting them to 8bit? Is there  a way
> to use WMaker on 8 bit screen without losing all the colors?

WindowMaker has special provisions to work on 8bit screens (I know, I'm
using it currently :-) ), so this should not be the problem (Expect no
magic -- Only Enlightenment can do magic on 8bit screens... :-) ).

> Judging on this list, there`re no more than 10 people. Is it worth switching
> over to the "debian users" ML, instead of this "debian 68k users"?

Yoda says: Whether is 68k specific this problem or not I cannot tell. But
good idea looking at colormap is, an endian problem this may be.

Is there any relation between the color a pixel has and the color it
should have, perhaps red and green value exchanged and blue
missing/random?

   Simon

PGP public key available from ftp://phobos.fs.tum.de/pub/pgp/geier.asc
 Fingerprint: 10 62 F6 F5 C0 5D 9E D8  47 05 1B 8A 22 E5 4E C1